Original Post Date: August 8, 2018
Today blog post is inspired by the Academy of Motion Pictures of Arts and Sciences and the bone-head decision to add a new category to gain better ratings and secure more viewership.
And the Oscar goes too…… How many times have we heard that line and thought wow this movie just won for best picture and I never heard of it. I wonder how this is possible especially when there’s great performances in movies like Chris Evan in The Avengers Infinity War (2018) or Henry Cavill in Superman Man of Steel (2013) or Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman (2017) or Chadwick Boseman and Danai Gurira in Black Panther (2018). You would think that with the late Heath Ledger’s brilliant performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight (2008) winning the best supporting Oscar, that the Academy would be more open to nominating films of this caliber.
The bone-heads that sits on the Board of Governors are truly out-of-touch with the popular movie goer. The board seems to be blind to the the fact there are plenty of really good scripts from unknown writers to be produced and that these talents should be recognized instead of creating a new category. Popular Movie category is just that, you’re giving an Oscar to a movie that has box office success instead of the merit of the film.
And let’s talk about viewership…….there’s a few reason why viewership has dropped and here’s why:
- The broadcast is way too long; There’s no reason to drag this out. Give out the popular categories and drop the rest by dropping I mean drop best lighting, camera angle categories of this nature. Also eliminate the President of the Academy speech on how the Oscar is awarded. Oscar have social media account and a website this is where that speech belongs.
- Entire show is unorganized; Fire the producer or producers because these guys can’t get their shit straight. The lag time between awarding categories or performances is too long. Too many fuck-ups it’s gets old fast. This is the Academy Awards this broadcast should be a well oiled ran machine.
- The Hosts; Aside from Whoopi, Billy Crystal and Jimmy Kimmel, over the past 5 years the hosts sucks major red orange and blue balls. These people are performers and yet they’re bland as dry toast. The hosts can’t connect to the audience it’s a turn off and it’s really distributing.
- Winners thank you speech; Yes it’s exciting to win but once the winner make the acceptance speech it’s like they thank everyone on the fucking planet. It’s annoying. Maybe there’s way to post a acceptance speech on social media or remind winners they have 1 minute (one and done) and not only will they be played off, they will be escorted off as well.
- Repeat Offenders; Stop with the repeat winners constantly giving awards to the same people year after year it’s stupid really. There’s plenty of actresses who do great work that isn’t Meryl Streep.
- Diversity; Wow what a difference a year makes, the lack of diversity is quite evident. 2017 we seen a rise in diversity of film that featured black cast or gays in leading role that being said only five films was recognized. Spectacular performances like Chadwick Boseman in Marshall (2017) or Trevor Jackson in Burning Sands (2017) was overlooked why? Halle Berry and Denzel Washington great actors but they aren’t the only black actors available.
Speaking of popular movies please explain how could a brilliantly put together movie like Dunkirk (2017) the highest grossing World War II movie surpassing Saving Private Ryan losses to a movie about a mute lady who falls in love with a mute lizard-man? Not to mention that Christopher Nolan one of the best directors around he hasn’t won an Oscar and only been nominated once is just asinine.
It doesn’t take a rocket science to figure this out, the Academy doesn’t need to add more categories, just be sensible when presenting movies to the members of the Academy for voting.