Today blog post is inspired by the Academy of Motion Pictures of Arts and Sciences and the bone-head decision to add a new category to gain better ratings and secure more viewership.
And the Oscar goes too…… How many times have we heard that line and thought wow this movie just won for best picture and I never heard of it. I wonder how this is possible especially when there’s great performances in movies like Chris Evan in The Avengers Infinity War (2018) or Henry Cavill in Superman Man of Steel (2013) or Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman (2017) or Chadwick Boseman and Danai Gurira in Black Panther (2018). You would think that with the late Heath Ledger’s brilliant performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight (2008) winning the best supporting Oscar, that the Academy would be more open to nominating films of this caliber.
The bone-heads that sits on the Board of Governors are truly out-of-touch with the popular movie goer. The board seems to be blind to the the fact there are plenty of really good scripts from unknown writers to be produced and that these talents should be recognized instead of creating a new category. Popular Movie category is just that, you’re giving an Oscar to a movie that has box office success instead of the merit of the film.
And let’s talk about viewership…….there’s a few reason why viewership has dropped and here’s why:
- The broadcast is way too long; There’s no reason to drag this out. Give out the popular categories and drop the rest by dropping I mean drop best foreign film, animation, lighting, camera angle categories of this nature. Also eliminate the President of the Academy speech on how the Oscar is awarded. Oscar have social media account and a website this is where that speech belongs.
- Entire show is unorganized; Fire the producer or producers because these guys can’t get their shit straight. The lag time between awarding categories or performances is too long. Too many fuck-ups it’s gets old fast. This is the Academy Awards this broadcast should be a well oiled ran machine.
- The Hosts; Aside from Whoopi, Billy Crystal and Jimmy Kimmel, over the past 5 years the hosts sucks major red orange and blue balls. These people are performers and yet they’re bland as dry toast. The hosts can’t connect to the audience it’s a turn off and it’s really distributing.
- Winners thank you speech; Yes it’s exciting to win but once the winner make the acceptance speech it’s like they thank everyone on the fucking planet. It’s annoying. Maybe there’s way to post a acceptance speech on social media or remind winners they have 1 minute (one and done) and not only will they be played off, they will be escorted off as well.
- Repeat Offenders; Stop with the repeat winners constantly giving awards to the same people year after year it’s stupid really. There’s plenty of actresses who do great inceptional work that isn’t Meryl Streep.
- Diversity; Wow what a difference a year makes, the lack of diversity is quite evident. 2017 we seen a rise in diversity of film that featured black cast or gays in leading role that being said only five films was recognized. Spectacular performances like Chadwick Boseman in Marshall (2017) or Trevor Jackson in Burning Sands (2017) was overlooked why? Halle Berry and Denzel Washington great actors but they aren’t the only black actors available.
Speaking popular movies please explain how could a brilliantly put together movie like Dunkirk (2017) the highest grossing World War II movie surpassing Saving Private Ryan losses to a movie about a mute lady who falls in love with a mute lizard-man? Not to mention that Christopher Nolan one of the best directors around he hasn’t won an Oscar and only been nominated once is just asinine.
It doesn’t take a rocket science to figure this out, the Academy doesn’t need to add more categories, just be sensible when presenting movies to the members of the Academy for voting.
Reboots can mean many different things. Rebooting can mean changing a certain aspect of your life OR the most common meaning of reboots is referring to remaking of TV shows, movies and music. Reboots can also mean projecting a need a person is lacking in their lives. Continue reading “Reboots”
Inspiration comes on all forms and today blog post is inspired by doing something so natural TV binge watching. I been doing a lot of that lately on Netflix catching up on my British telly as they say and I notice something very unusual, well unusual for us Americans and that is on British telly apparently police officers don’t carry guns. Amazing huh? I know I said I won’t get political here but there’s always the first the one and only exception to the rule and this blog is it. I decided to put down the martini’s, put down the remote and really think about what or how I will present this thought…..
Continue reading “Garda Síochána “Guardian of the Peace””
Hello everyone, I don’t know where to start in regards to this blog post. This issue has been a thorn in my side for a long time all my adult life. It’s been a topic of conversation too many time including just recently this AM at the watercooler of social media. Let me start with this, I really don’t like it when my “friend” introduce me as “oh meet my black white friend”. REALLY, that’s how your gonna roll? Reading through the comments on my social media (sunnylarue on facebook), I notice a few people don’t get why this is such an issue for me and why I get so offended by this and because of that I thought this would be a good blog to chat about.
Continue reading “Rencontrez mon ami noir et blanc”
Hello everyone, as I still travel down this journey of self discovery, I can’t go any futher without mentioning the people who are Champions in my corner. Yes like everyone else we all have our flaws that’s what makes us fun, interesting, unique people and at times very frustrating. This one person above all others in my life played a huge role in help shaping me into this complex personality that is before you today. Without this person I would cease to exist. This person complexed, interesting, strong, endearing, sad, broken, magentic, flawed, beautiful, beautiful, my beloved mother.
Continue reading “Meine Geliebte”
‘Pleurer Dans Mon Ombre’ French for “Crying In My Shadow” is the topic of today blog post. Since my little stint in bloggers rehab, strengthing my armour (see blog post (“reparer mon armuer“), my new found inspiration is emerging and now I feel more so than ever compelled to tell of my journey of growth. This blog post is based on a recent conversation or conversations I had with varies important people in my life, my sister, my niece, my cousins, my closest friends all these people have played a role and given me inspiration and a voice and for that I am grateful. For too long I been standing in the shadows just going throught the emotions like a got-damm robot scared to express myself. No more standing in my shadow crying wanting to be heard needing to be heard craving for a stable support-system. Now with my new found sense of self awareness I am comfortable to speak my TRUTH.
Continue reading “pleurer dans mon ombre”
A dear friend once told me to write no matter what I do just write. Take 5 mins to write down any thought & do this everyday then before you know it that one sentence will be a paragraph then that paragraph will be a blog then reflect on that idea or thoughts and the process. Thank you Paulie for the sound advice, you are a truly great friend & a champion I am honored to have in my corner.
Continue reading “réparer mon armure!”
Hello Kings & Queens of the social media world, it’s been sometime since I posted a blog but I’m back, I would like to start with a topic that’s been on everyone minds and hearts and that’s mass shootings.
In the wake of the Stone Douglas HS shootings my friends and I had a deep conversation trying to understand the gravity of the situation. I decided to take a look back starting with a quote from my blog from back in October 2017 about this topic
Continue reading ““And the Conversation Continues””